Our Chocolate and Theobromine

Don't feed our chocolate to your pets!

Did you know that the 26th was National Dog Day over in America? Dogs are wonderful companions are they not, as are any pet for that matter.

We bring this up as unfortunately some people have misinterpreted our chocolate as suitable for pets due to our mascots – the Moo Free Friends, on the front of our Classic Large bar range and Mini Moos range.

We would to make it crystal clear that our products are not suitable for pets or animals, the Moo Free Friends represent the founders of the company along with select individuals within our workforce. We also use them so that people can identify our chocolate much easier than other chocolate similar to how cereal mascots distinguish themselves from each other.

But why can’t we give chocolate to our pets? Well the answer lies in a particular ingredient used to make chocolate – Cocoa. In cocoa there is a compound called Theobromine which is a stimulant that works similarly to caffeine.

Now in large quantities Theobromine is toxic both to human and pets. However, humans possess a unique enzyme that breaks the Theobromine down fast enough to the point of stopping any serious effect, this allows us to consume a significant amount of cocoa based product.

Dogs, cats and other pets don’t have the enzyme that we have, meaning their bodies can’t breakdown the Theobromine as fast as humans, therefore, even a small amount can be deadly. With dogs in particular it can be rather complicated as due to the wide variety of breeds, depending on the size of the dog by the amount they consume as well as the type of chocolate the effects can be widely different.

Cats are also susceptible however because most cats tend to be a similar size across breeds it is easier to discern how their body we react; did you know that cat’s tongues lack the ability to taste sweet things?

Chocolate has different amounts of cocoa inside themselves, this determines the amount of Theobromine within, generally baking chocolate, dark chocolate and pure cocoa powder has the highest amount of Theobromine whereas milk chocolate (and alternatives) has the lowest.

In summary, we strongly discourage the use of our chocolate/any chocolate as a pet treat. If you suspect that your pet has consumed chocolate or cocoa powder contact a veterinarian immediately. General symptoms include: Vomiting, diarrhoea, rapid breathing, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, irregular heart rate. More serious cases can lead to comas and ultimately death.

If you see our chocolate being sold in the pet section of a supermarket or retailer inform an employee or the manager to move them to the confectionary shelves immediately to prevent disastrous consequences.

nutrition blogs: badge a